Pynchon Wiki: The Crying of Lot 49
To become a contributor/editor, Create an account.
This is the Wiki for Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. Besides using the Alphabetical Index and the page-by-page annotation, you can also take a look at The Crying of Lot 49 covers, read the reviews, or provide insights or observations.
And now ... The Movie ...
A shortfilm version of CL49 found on YouTube and created by someone who goes by the handle "filibusterer"... Crying of Lot 49 Film
San Jose, California - August 14, 2007 - It turns out that the entire text of The Crying of Lot 49 is being broadcast in semaphore from the top of Adobe's Almaden Towers headquarters. San Jose Semaphore, by artist Ben Rubin, is a permanent public artwork commissioned by Adobe Systems Incorporated in collaboration with the City of San Jose’s Office of Cultural Affair’s Public Art Program. The code was recently cracked by two Silicon Valley tech workers, Mark Snesrud and Bob Mayo.
Santa Barbara, California - Nov 26, 2007 - Postal Horns Moving South!
Vandals tagged the University of California, Santa Barbara campus and parts of Isla Vista over Thanksgiving break, making use of a symbol found in the 1966 Thomas Pynchon novel The Crying of Lot 49. The symbol, which resembles a trumpet, was spray-painted in red at various locations, including South Hall, Manzanita Village and the Daily Nexus advertising office.
How to Use this Wiki
The Spoiler-Free Annotations by Page allows the reader to look up and contribute allusions and references while reading the book, in a convenient and spoiler-free manner.
Apart from that, it's up to you.
Page by Page Annotations
An alternate form of commentary on the text. The guiding principle of these annotations is to remain spoiler-free, so that readers can follow along without the fear that later parts of the book will be revealed.
|Chapter 1||Chapter 2||Chapter 3||Chapter 4||Chapter 5||Chapter 6|
Pynchon Wiki Help and Contributor Guidelines
Click here for help with editing and creating pages.
We have a few conventions we ask that you follow:
- When creating a new page, first check to make sure a page/article about what you want to write about hasn't already been created, by checking the list of all Wiki pages on Pynchon Wiki. If a page already exists, please modify that one.
- When creating a new page, if its information pertains to one (and only one) specific Pynchon novel, please categorize it with the appropriate identifier. For example, a page pertaining to The Crying of Lot 49, should use the syntax
- To open a discussion on an individual listing of the Alpha Index or Page by Page Annotations, give it a name that identifies the alpha listing (eg [[Discussion Subject|'''DISCUSSION''']]) and notice that the visible name will be "DISCUSSION" in bold and full caps, so it stands out a bit.
- The Modern Word: The Crying of Lot 49
- The Fictional Woods - a Pynchon forum
- "Reading Pynchon Today" in the New Partisan
- "Pynchon From A to V" - Excellent!
- Pynchonoid Blog
- Pomona The Crying of Lot 49 page
- Wikipedia: The Crying of Lot 49
GalleryBelow are some of the images you will find on Pynchon Wiki.
20:33, 7 May 2010
20:30, 7 May 2010
20:28, 7 May 2010
20:26, 7 May 2010
20:24, 7 May 2010
20:22, 7 May 2010
13:16, 2 May 2010
13:04, 2 May 2010
13:36, 16 December 2007
11:12, 8 December 2007
08:47, 30 November 2007
07:18, 18 August 2007
07:55, 27 March 2007
08:32, 20 March 2007
10:17, 19 March 2007
07:16, 19 March 2007
14:24, 18 March 2007
14:15, 18 March 2007
14:14, 18 March 2007
12:12, 18 March 2007
17:40, 17 March 2007
14:48, 17 March 2007
10:42, 17 March 2007
Feel free to contact us (admin at pynchonwiki dot com) with any questions.Thanks, and enjoy...